Part of my frustration in the past ten years has been being the canary in the coal mine for my family and friends who just have no idea how dangerous certain chemicals are. After my over-exposure to pesticides/insecticides as a child, I have left my now 29-year-old body in a state that is super-sensitive to chemicals that I come in contact with.
Sometimes they are perfumes, sometimes cleaners, and sometimes other scents and antibacterial lotions/potions that are chock-full of chemicals that in small quantities can actually be dangerous. Small quantities become large quantities when you take into the equation all of the other chemicals that are raging in our food, air, water, etc.
Today the culprit is methyl nonyl ketone, which is in some strange pet-repellent that was sprayed in my parent’s home. Now, of course the MSDS sheet and other information says things like “Carcinogenic Effects: Not available”, “Mutagenic effects: Not available”, “Teratogenic Effects: Not available”, “Developmental Toxicty: Not available”. Nothing is known. Now, everyone would like you to think that the unknown is because there is no problem there – I, canary in the coal mine, can tell you that this chemical has some ill-effect on something because I can sense it. It sets off my senses and makes me feel ill.
Unfortunately in our society, such a warning is not enough. So, this is a battle cry. An opportunity to educate others – a cry out to others who have chemical sensitivities or MCS – that you are not alone. More and more people will become sensitive as our human bodies start to recognize that they are full-up of poison. Only then, will so many people change. But, it has to start somewhere, it has to be written, it has to be expressed.
We do that here – albeit the fate of a canary for anyone who recognizes the dangers of the pollutants that we fill our environment, our home, and our body with.